Saturday, November 12, 2011

Absolute-ly Budapest

I just finished a bottle of Dreher in an apartment near the Budapest synagogue. My guidebook says Hungarian beer is nothing compared to the wine.  Since I thought the beer was pretty good, I’m sure the wine is going to blow my mind.  The city already has. And it’s only my first full day here.

Heros' Square
This morning I chanced upon Absolute Walking Tours (Lazar utca 16 VI, phone: 269-3843), and ended up on their most popular walk—around the city (cost: 2250 HUF). We started at Heros’ Square, built in 1896 to commemorate the millennium and the 1000th year since the Magyars (Hungarians) arrived from Asia.  We walked through city park and stopped inside the courtyard of the “castle” which was never a castle but is now houses a restaurant, gallery, and the Agricultural Museum.  We peeked inside the Széchenyi Fürdö, the largest and most famous bath in Budapest (more later when I’ve had a chance to experience the mineral waters myself…).

St. Stephen's Basilica
We hopped on the underground, the Budapest metro, and visited the Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Állami Operarház), where I hope to return for a show. We walked toward St. Stephen’s Basilica, built over the course of 50-some years. Stephen’s wife was apparently German, so post-World War II, the Germans gifted Hungary with money to complete the structure.

Old and new at Hilton Hotel
Then from Pest, we walked across the famous Chain Bridge to arrive in Buda (two former cities merged into one to make Budapest). Climbing steps, we could see the Danube River snaking beneath the grand Parliament building on the Pest-side of the bank. The highlights: Matthias Church with its distinctive roof by Bertalan Székely, with with Fishermen's Bastion (Halászbástya) and the Hilton hotel built around the remains of a medieval monastery.

Torta-lly delicious.
I stayed in the Castle district to explore some more, enjoying the color facades of the homes and shops. Catching a late lunch at the Korona Café (Korona Kávéház) for a sandwich (szendvics), espresso (eszpresszó), and Szamos torta.

Pest over the Danube
What better way to end my first day--than the pastel sunset sky behind Pest, as I looked down from in front of the Hungarian National Gallery (Magyar Nemzeti Galéria).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so beautiful, I wish I was there with you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were, too....

    ReplyDelete